prgmBAD

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

prgmBAD

Post02 June 2014, 03:38

About 13 years ago i started a simple program after a friend cleared my calc's memory (yeah i know, would a real friend do that?!). It started off in BASIC but then i decided i wanted to try my hand at it in assembly. I ended up coming across Joel Seligstein and their EZAsm (a sort of precursor to NanoWar's Funk Library), added a few assembly routines so that i could do what i wanted and then released it to ticalc. The simple program ended up being about 3.5 kb so later i decided to rewrite it in pure assembly. I got everything done except the other mode (the original had two modes) but got stuck so i just released it anyways. Today i decided it was time to add that other mode and finish this sucker off for good. I cleaned up the code a lot (most of it was rewritten from scratch) and added a couple neat things that i thought might be helpful for those just getting started with assembly. For example, i programmed a simple input routine for the high scores and added an interrupt to control the line speed instead of using halts. I also just got a 3.5mm to 2.5mm jack (it took me so long to do this!), so maybe i can try adding some sound to it, too.

Anyway, another 2014 release for RevSoft :green:
Attachments
prgmbad4.zip
(36.64 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
screenshot000.gif
screenshot000.gif (890.81 KiB) Viewed 2733 times

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Re: prgmBAD

Post06 June 2014, 03:24

Today i added background music and a simple crash sound when you lose:
link to video with sound

I was limited to just a couple notes so don't expect anything too interesting, but at least i managed to add sound :)

Post24 June 2014, 07:19

Games with sound are often under-appreciated for what they are :o The video didn't load for me (very slow connection here) so I can't check it out, sadly.

Also, did you specifically set the high score name limit to be exactly long enough to hold your username :P

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post25 June 2014, 16:08

Haha yeah i actually had to increase it by one because when i wrote it i used 10 as a default. Then i typed my name in and it came out as "chickendud" ;)

And thanks, you're not really missing anything, i really just wanted to learn how sound worked and now i've got a better idea. I shoved the sound routine in an interrupt (that's why i was so limited in the notes available) so it runs at basically the same speed as the non-sound version. I also forced myself to write a nice input routine, so that's another bonus that i'll be able to reuse in other projects.

EDIT: Ah, and the new version with "sound" is available at ticalc.

Post29 September 2014, 06:33

I always love sound stuff even if it's simplistic. It's neat to see the calc being pushed in that way. By the way, have you seen calc84maniac's Stein gate game for the 84+C (I can't remember if you posted in that thread off hand)? It has music and is quite impressive. :D

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post29 September 2014, 10:06

I have seen it and am absolutely amazed by it. Everything about that game is amazing, if i got an 84+CSE it'd be solely to play that! I even bought an adapter for this project so i'd be able to listen to the music while i played :D

Return to Announce your Projects