Screenshots

Chickendude's remake of the famous Monopoly board game
  • Author

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Re: Screenshots

Post11 December 2011, 23:02

Check out the dice! It looks a bit ugly now, how can i make it prettier?

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post11 December 2011, 23:26

First make them bigger, then try to hmm.. roll them :) .

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post11 December 2011, 23:42

Bigger? What size should they be then? And kRoot had a nice rolling animation, my attempt i admit is pretty pathetic :P

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post12 December 2011, 03:30

Improvements are always good. It looks like the your custom font and text routines are coming along nicely.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post12 December 2011, 08:25

As you rotate a dice, the total pixel height of a dice may change (like here: http://www.xaraxone.com/guest/guest101/ ... les/52.png). Yours are a bit squished ^^ .

I attached a few dices for you.

:: Oh and don't forget rounded corners!
Attachments
Dices.bmp
Dicey!
Dices.bmp (3.06 KiB) Viewed 11906 times

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post12 December 2011, 10:49

The reason they are squished is because i didn't want to write yet another sprite routine to handle sprites wider than 1 byte :P Thanks for the pictures, they look much prettier.

Contra also reminded me of the Probability Simulation App:

The dice path looks much nicer there, too.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post12 December 2011, 13:32

chickendude wrote:The reason they are squished is because i didn't want to write yet another sprite routine to handle sprites wider than 1 byte :P

Come on, why do we have this: http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?ti ... argeSprite ?

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post12 December 2011, 14:41

But i've already written my own for the text routine and readapted it for variable height sprites (but still limited to 8 pixels wide) and i didn't want to waste more space :P The final dice you see there is actually drawn by something like this:
Code: Select all
 ld (hl),$FF
  inc hl
  ld c,%1000000
  ld (hl),c
  ld b,8
  ld de,GBUFWIDTH-1
loop:
  add hl,de
  ld (hl),c
  inc hl
  ld (hl),c
  djnz loop
  add hl,de
  ld (hl),$FF
  inc hl
  ld (hl),c
Not sure if that works or not as i'm not at home, but you get the general idea. I'm getting way too lazy :P Oh, and then i draw a smaller 5-byte sprite with the number inside using my smallSprite routine.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post17 December 2011, 06:20

Couldn't sleep so i decided to try to figure a way to mark purchased properties. I ended up spending about 5 hours trying to debug maybe 20 lines of code, but here's the result (check what's left behind on purchased properties):
Right now you can have two or more characters with the same piece because they're randomly generated, but in the final version each piece will only be able to be chosen once, so... That or maybe player number? What do you think? Houses will be a pain...

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post17 December 2011, 13:10

Alright so another two hours of my life and this is what i've got. Still not very pretty, to get it in the white part of the property will be a bit of a pain (right now, i reuse the gbuf coordinates to draw the little player sprite, so really i don't even know the coordinates in the gbuf, i'd have to calculate it from the value of the gbuf pointer).
monopoly.gif
knowing which properties are owned/unowned
monopoly.gif (138.91 KiB) Viewed 11895 times

This is the godawful code i've been playing with for what seems like an eternity now:
checkIfOwned:
    ld a,(ix+6)         ;property byte 6 = current owner, $FF if no owner
    cp $FF
    ret z
    ld e,P_CHAR
    call getPlayer       ;returns pointer to P(layer's)_CHAR(acter sprite #)
    ld b,(hl)
    exx
        ld de,-14*11    ;we are at the bottom of the tile, so go up 11 rows (each row is 14 bytes)
        add hl,de
        push hl
        pop ix
        ld de,13       ;can't mess with the shadow registers, need them for the main map routine. restore value of de (should be 13)
    exx
    ld de,7
    ld hl,smallPlayerSprites-7
    add hl,de
    djnz $-1
    ld e,14
    ld b,7
cIO_drawLoop:
    ld c,0
    ld a,(ix+1)
    and %00001111
    ld (ix+1),a
    ld a,(ix)
    and %11111000
    ld (ix),a
    ld a,(hl)
    sla a
    rl c
    sla a
    rl c
    sla a
    rl c
    or (ix+1)
    ld (ix+1),a
    ld a,c
    or (ix)
    ld (ix),a
    add ix,de
    inc hl
    djnz cIO_drawLoop
    ret
Yikes! I really don't like that IX, but my brain's too fried to think of a better way to do it for the time being.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post17 December 2011, 21:20

Do you think this go to jail bit looks ok? A sorta jagged way to do it, but it's the easiest...
ptiani1.gif
go to jail
ptiani1.gif (29.45 KiB) Viewed 11892 times

Also, i could use some help figuring out how to calculate the trajectory to jail for the chance cards. I'm really bad at mathy things :/
I figure it'll be something like this:
The jail is at X0,Y10.
If I am at X10,Y5, the trajectory should be X10-X0/Y10-Y5 = X10/Y5 = X2/Y1
11111111111 ;0
10000000001 ;1
10000000001 ;2
10000000001 ;3
10000000001 ;4
10000000XXX ;5
100000XXX01 ;6
1000XXX0001 ;7
10XXX000001 ;8
XXX00000001 ;9
X1111111111 ;10

I suppose it'd be something like that?

EDIT: The map looks a bit interesting! Also, i guess i could just "jump" to jail and skip the animation.
UPDATE: Added a ss of being stuck in jail. I don't know why i add so many, it's just nice when things work...
Attachments
ptiani2.gif
Stuck in jail
ptiani2.gif (91.54 KiB) Viewed 11892 times

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post18 December 2011, 00:34

So, the move back 3 squares chance card is working, including wrapping around corners (which only happens in one spot) :)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post18 December 2011, 23:12

Cool, See! Your progress is steady. I like what you do.

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post19 December 2011, 02:18

Wow things seem to be progressing nicely...I had missed the dice part from earlier, sounds like you got a bunch of improvements to the game

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post23 January 2012, 04:10

Thanks, Madskillz. While things have been progressing much more slowly lately, tonight i finally got the scrolling menus taken care of (at least in part, i still need to update the selector routine):
Attachments
screenshot001.gif
The actual menu!
screenshot001.gif (311.49 KiB) Viewed 11809 times
screenshot000.gif
Going shopping!
screenshot000.gif (2.65 MiB) Viewed 11809 times

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post23 January 2012, 12:22

The selector looks like a 'D'. Maybe add space after it, or make it distinguishable.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post23 January 2012, 13:46

Yeah, i might just return it to the same sprite as before (the little box), but i got excited when i switched over to the .bmp files and it was much easier to change everything. I also forgot to mention that i added in a "cancel" button (mode) so now you don't have to scroll down to the bottom to go to a previous menu (or exit if you're in the main menu). Once the menu selecter gets fixed and i add in the property data, it'll be a lot easier to go on to more exciting things (trading property, buying houses). Apart from that, i'm really not sure what else is missing. I guess i should finally get around to changing the text for when you land on a property you own. A "This property is yours" might be more reasonable than a "Pay yourself X dollars". I guess there should also be a way to lose :P (though it's not really worth the trouble writing that until i've got everything else working, as not having money doesn't mean you've lost if you've got properties to mortgage, etc.)

Also, i was thinking of shortening some of the property strings. I don't really like how a lot of the "Avenue" properties cover two lines...

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post24 January 2012, 14:18

Also maybe put a line between property name, cost and options?

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post29 January 2012, 17:54

Looking good chickendude. I liked the boxes from before better. As for the property strings maybe just go with "Ave." Nano's idea about a line between property name, cost and options sounds like a good idea.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post29 January 2012, 23:16

I could maybe give each textbox a "title" or something similar (i actually thought of doing this before), but adding those spaces is actually a lot more complicated than it might seem, as currently the routine counts on each line of text having the same height (6 px), adding a space would mean i'd also have to keep track of where each section ends and adjust the shifting accordingly. I'll look into better ways of organizing it, though, because it does look really messy.

A few days ago i got the new menu engine up and running, and the buttons are highlighted correctly (and the correct option is read) and now you can view some basic information about the properties. I ended up getting sidetracked as i realized that the properties in Monopoly don't follow any real logical pattern as far as rent prices go, so i'll probably just have to hardcode them all in (another 100 bytes or so) :/ After that, i want to have the cursor scroll the textbox automatically when it goes offscreen (right now you have to do it manually with Alpha + Up/Down). Then i think the text routine will more or less be in its final state (apart from fixing whatever bugs i find) :)

EDIT: Ah! I was also thinking the money would be better to have on the main menu instead of having to view the stats menu, and maybe just removing the stats menu altogether and changing "Stats" to "Properties" or something like that.
Previous

Return to Monopoly