[defunct]Chipz80 - A Danmaku

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

add

Topic Starter

[defunct]Chipz80 - A Danmaku

Post25 June 2015, 19:13

I've been playing around, planning to make a Danmaku/Bullet-Hell genre game for the TI83+/TI84+ for about half a day or so now.
I was hoping no-one had made one but chickendude showed me one (probably written in Axe though), and there are probably more than that one.. Oh well :'( .

Mostly I've been writing plans and now I'm drawing sprites and such, and man, I really suck horribly at drawing sprites (here's a drink for hoping I wont change from Black&White sprites to gray-scale sprites).
I don't have anything substantial to show yet though, so that'll have to wait. ;)

Notes: Hopefully this will be a project I can finish, and not something I just abandon like so many other of my projects :lala:
Last edited by add on 05 April 2016, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.

chickendude

Staff Member

Re: Chipz80 - A Danmaku

Post27 June 2015, 05:35

My suggestion is to stay away from grayscale, for me grayscale on the 83+ has always turned a fun project into a burden. And on top of that if you plan on having lots of objects on screen, grayscale is going to be a big limitation.

You might also consider taking advantage of the wait states in the fastcopy routine to erase the gbuf, that way each time you copy the gbuf to the LCD you'll have a fresh gbuf to draw to at no extra cost (you won't need a clearBuf routine).

Also, feel free to look through the source to the shooter part of GALL.

add

Topic Starter

Post27 June 2015, 09:20

Thanks for your tips chickendude! It will be greatly needed :-)

Post29 June 2015, 07:28

Actually, there is another Danmaku shooter called CaDan, by Iambian and Geekboy1011, but it was never finished (although a demo is available at http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 41600.html )

add

Topic Starter

Post29 June 2015, 11:40

Ah, thanks for the reference DJ Omnimaga!
I'm having a major downer in my depression right now so I dunno how much I can work without getting exhausted (and I'm also going away for a weekend) and my two sisters are coming to visit over a couple of months (they live on the other side of earth normally) soooo... Here's one for hoping I will finish it!
/me takes a glass of Whisky

Post30 June 2015, 20:56

Depression really sucks. Hope you get feeling better soon.

add

Topic Starter

Post01 July 2015, 09:19

Thanks Art_of_camelot, I appreciate it.

Post02 July 2015, 05:19

Unless the wisky part is a joke, I would recommend avoiding using alcohol as a crutch to go through depression. It can help sometimes, but I personally just use alcohol as one out of many ways to have fun. I hope your depression goes away as much as possible, though. I had to deal with it from time to time in the past and it isn't good at all (and it's dangerous for you).

Post03 July 2015, 02:56

Yea, I've been through depression before. Not to the extent that a lot of people that have had it really bad though. Currently I've been sick and been streesing myself out about it way too much. I'm pretty much never sick so it's been making me crazy with stress. Not quite the same either, but it's a huge pain nonetheless. So yea, get better. I Also agree with DJ. Alcohol can be a bad crutch, so please be careful in that regard.

add

Topic Starter

Post06 July 2015, 21:36

Sorry, the whisky part was an tasteless joke (I wonder if that pun was unintentionally intended?? Is that even possible :-P).
Yeah, the depression have been part of me most of my life. Oh well.
I can't really drink much alcohol because of medicine I take, but I'm still careful regardless.
Thank you for your advice DJ Omnimaga and Art_of_camelot.

I keep hearing that exercise is a good way to get... endorphin? Which triggers happiness I think, so I'll start exercising more from now on.
My sister's husband will probably join me in jogging or whatever too so it won't be so boring. :-)

Wow, I hijacked my own thread. Whoops.

Post26 July 2015, 05:34

Wisky is awesome, though. :P

Looks like Chipz80 game now needs to include Jack Daniels references in order to get back on-topic. :P

add

Topic Starter

Post27 July 2015, 12:14

I don't think I've ever tasted Jack Daniels, is it an American Whiskey?
Yeah, some whiskey references would probably be proper to have :-)
I wonder how that would be incorporated.

Post31 July 2015, 22:35

I don't know if it's American, but it's widely available in Canada and USA. :)

add

Topic Starter

Post30 December 2015, 18:01

Idea: Add RPG elements (uhm, this is starting to sound like chickendude's GALL, whoops), like strength, speed and endurance.

So, instead of a classic wizard/priest (Touhou Project) or spaceship (much like Ikaruga) flying around shooting other wizards/priests or ships, I figure if at all possible with the limited screen and sprites, one could make a "superhero" who is defined by the player, like, one can select how fast, strong, enduring the superhero is.

I have some reasons for these ideas, but they aren't interesting so I'll spare you the details.

On the other hand, according to wikipedia, a superhero doesn't need to have superpowers to be defined a superhero, so maybe a pilot would work just fine.
I'm just not sure.
But I think I'm feeling a bit more motivated to redo this project!

Maybe a bonus would be that the superheros' fuel is whiskey. ;-)

EDIT:
Will also need a new name for the project..
Just saying.

chickendude

Staff Member

Post01 January 2016, 11:46

Heh, cool. I've also been working on GALL a bit lately, been reworking the event system a bit to make it more flexible and fixed a couple small bugs. If i can keep up the motivation, i should have a short concept level of what my idea for the game would be, i think i've got the actual code written, now the data just needs to be filled in. We could probably reuse a good portion of that code to put towards this project, if you were interested.

add

Topic Starter

Post02 January 2016, 15:04

We could probably use some parts if you're OK with it. It'd make the pace go up, but on the other hand, it might be hard to rework the code when it's not from scratch but what the heck do I know.

chickendude

Staff Member

Post03 January 2016, 08:18

You know code i write is always in the PD, so that won't be an issue ;) The shooter/danmaku aspect of the engine would probably need some changes, i wrote that portion over the course of two days for an old Cemetech contest and haven't touched it since. Lately i've been cleaning up the RPG aspect of it. To be honest, i've been thinking having a scrollable map similar to the asteroids game (turning your ship with left and right, moving forward with up, backward with down) would probably make for much more interesting gameplay, but i've been too lazy to rework that (and look up the math behind rotating a sprite).

add

Topic Starter

Post05 April 2016, 22:07

DEFUNCT.
That's all.

Re: [defunct]Chipz80 - A Danmaku

Post14 April 2016, 08:40

Sorry to hear. I noticed you weren't around much. Do you still plan to do any programming in the near future and showcase it here?

add

Topic Starter

Post15 April 2016, 17:43

I'm not going away, I just want to focus a bit more on other projects right now.
Sadly not much happening here right now..
I guess people are busy with real life stuff like university, work or similar things..

Post16 April 2016, 00:10

Yeah true, plus Revsoft is still suffering from the 2011 data loss, the URL change (and loss of traffic that resulted from it) and the two periods of downtime that lasted 4 months each. Many people still think that Revsoft no longer exists since 2011. It somewhat did well during the first half of 2015, though. Activity was like three times higher than the entire year of 2014.

chickendude

Staff Member

Post16 April 2016, 04:47

add, let's find some time to pick up some of our old projects. FamWars would be a nice way to ease our way back into z80 :)

add

Topic Starter

Post16 April 2016, 16:08

Yeah, maybe that would be an idea.

chickendude

Staff Member

Post17 April 2016, 03:19

We've dusted off the repository, time to get cracking!

Post20 April 2016, 00:48

chickendude wrote:add, let's find some time to pick up some of our old projects. FamWars would be a nice way to ease our way back into z80 :)

Lol, at first I misread FamWars as FlameWars. :green:
Next

Return to Announce your Projects