Organization - Github (or similar)

Here you can share sprites, code, sheets or ideas that you have
  • Author

add

Topic Starter

Organization - Github (or similar)

Post26 January 2015, 19:32

I've been thinking, would it be practical to make an organization on Github or somewhere we can collaborate on projects easier?
I was about to post this in the FunkLibrary topic, but thought this probably should have it's own topic.
From what I know the organization handling isn't great on github, but at least it's possible to give certain members rights to certain projects and so forth.
Any thoughts on the subject?
Yay or nay?

chickendude

Staff Member

Re: Organization - Github (or similar)

Post27 January 2015, 00:55

I think it's always nice to have a place where people can view the latest updated source. Lots of source has been lost and many projects abandoned over the years due to closed-source obsessiveness. I'm not exactly sure what a GitHub organization is, but if that means we'll have more projects going on and getting coding done (and bringing back some life to this poor old site), then i'm all for it ;)

add

Topic Starter

Post27 January 2015, 12:51

Yeah, I would like to liven up the place a bit. It seems it's mostly us three that are active (most of the time I should say).
If we could have a "Base of Operations" (BoO, xD) it might help with creativity and collaboration.
Let's hear NanoWar's opinion/decision.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post27 January 2015, 16:17

It sounds nice, but is it necessary? I'd rather have my own accounts on github, because I have other stuff there aswell... :)

add

Topic Starter

Post27 January 2015, 16:32

You don't need to move everything over to the organization, you make an organization, invite members, and move the repos that are relevant and that people want to share..

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post27 January 2015, 17:45

ok, cool

add

Topic Starter

Post06 February 2015, 21:37

Don't want to nag about it but, is anything happening with this idea?
My thought was that you, NanoWar, should be the owner/founder of the organization.
But if you don't want to be the owner/founder we could use either me or chickendude for that, as long as you find the idea to still be good..

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post08 February 2015, 21:14

Good, what are your github names? :D

add

Topic Starter

Post08 February 2015, 21:18

chickendude's nick is chickendude and mine (add) is gpadd. Links:
https://github.com/chickendude
https://github.com/gpadd

add

Topic Starter

Post08 February 2015, 21:50

Woosh, I've put Famwars in the org now :-)
Now you can work on it too if you want to ;-)
One thing though, maybe we should have some teams to let us decide on who can work on what or something?
I think me and chickendude can be members or admins with access to (at least) the famwars repo, and you as the owner can have access to all of them (since your the owner). :-)
Actually, I could help you do that, but I want to make sure that you think it's a good idea, if it's bad then I wont do it. :-P

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post08 February 2015, 22:00

I do not own this place, I just administrate it and feel mighty. Chickendude e.g. is equal in rights and only because it reads admin you might have the wrong impression on me being higher in rank or something. Actually on our last forum I rather felt immature and inexperienced compared to, say Spencer Jim Madskillz (hes a founder btw) etc. Revsoft was, is, a place of, in my opinion, awesome people. But yes, I feel responsible and this forum was set up by me. I'm also a friend of flat heirarchies...

add

Topic Starter

Post08 February 2015, 22:02

I didn't mean to offend you if I did.
I just don't want to take decisions all on my own without having others knowing what's going on. :-)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post08 February 2015, 22:08

Just clearing things up... :)

Return to Resources and Ideas