Pokemon Purple

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Pokemon Purple

Post23 October 2011, 23:20

Pokemon Purple is a mostly BASIC RPG based off of the original Pokemon Red and Blue games released a long time ago. It currently uses 4 small ASM programs to assist with things that BASIC simply is incapable of doing.

As of this posting, I have the introduction system fully working when New game is selected; a scrolling walking system that is completely ascii based; an in-game menu with most functions working; a save/load system is in place, though may need rewriting for changes made since that system was started; a fully working Pokedex system; item selection system working; first seven or so items working; usage of the party menu to check stats, move around the list and to switch in and out of battles functioning.

This game currently takes up well over 100KB of space, and has exceeded the space given by the TI-83+.

There are over 100 screenshots located here: http://tifreakware.net/tifreak8x/pokemon/ss.php

=================

I will endeavor to make posts here as they are important for updates and such. :)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Re: Pokemon Purple

Post23 October 2011, 23:25

Very cool! BTW: Is it a joke that it's purple and not black/white on a calc?
Attachments
pikachu-purple.gif
Pokémon Purple!
pikachu-purple.gif (204 Bytes) Viewed 33821 times

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post23 October 2011, 23:26

lol, purple was because this game is both Red and Blue at once, you just choose one or the other when you start the game. Hence, purple :D

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post08 November 2011, 02:57

Reduced the looping to just once, removed the need to recall the pic which sped things up. Checked and verified that exiting the loop still functions.

chickendude

Staff Member

Post08 November 2011, 10:30

Wow... i love that animation... it's bringing back memories.

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post11 November 2011, 04:11

As usual, Pokemon Purple is looking really good tifreak

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post15 November 2011, 09:51

BTW, is the battle engine already implemented? I'd rather like to see the attack animations instead of evolving animations. I heard the damage calculations etc. are really difficult in Pokémon?

chickendude

Staff Member

Post15 November 2011, 21:30

There are a lot of things in Pokémon that i never would have thought about, what are they, something like EVs and things that are sorta hidden behind it all. Honestly, i don't know how people figured all that stuff out...

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post16 November 2011, 13:26

Thanks Madskillz!

Nanowar, no, right now none of the attacks are functional. As a matter of fact, all the FIGHT option can do is display the different attacks, the cursor hasn't even been implemented as of yet. :<

I've just been trying to get all the items implemented so I can move on to the attacks. The items are being done in such a way that I shouldn't need to do much to make items work from the ingame menu.

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post27 June 2012, 15:25

Hm. I really really really need to work on my going around to this site more often. :|

This is where I'm at so far. The display for the pokemon with less than 100 hp is messed up because I've not fixed the display for the pokemon party to align the hp values properly. I'll try to do that later today.

It also doesn't seem to save its hp after it's been healed. I'll look into that after I get the alignment stuff fixed.

Enjoy the screenshot!

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post28 June 2012, 12:59

This better? :)

You'll see from the screenshot that I've already healed pikachu, and it works properly on the other pokemon. Now to figure out why when I back out of the party screen to the battle screen I get ERR: ARCHIVED.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post28 June 2012, 17:12

How long does it take to kill a pokemon with HP 999? :D

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post29 June 2012, 16:59

I haven't a clue. lol

It varies because if you get a pokemon that has a type advantage (like using an electric pokemon against a water type or flying type) then it doesn't take long at all to wipe them out. If they are both just normal types, it could take a while.

Also, got several more bugs fixed this morning, got Ice Heal written for the battling pokemon and getting ready to start writing the code for the party pokemon to use it.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post29 June 2012, 23:45

Why do you focus on items, is the battle engine done?

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post30 June 2012, 15:00

To be honest, I don't know why I picked the items system first. I guess with it, pending a few of the items, I'm essentially killing 2 birds with one stone. Each item is going to be coded to work with the battle system and outside of battle at the same time. There are just some items that won't be testable until after I finish the battle system.

And no, Attacks haven't been completed yet. But because I've done the item system, I'll have a basis on how to start the attacks :)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post30 June 2012, 20:51

Very cool. I just meant that a simple battle engine would be already playable, hehe.

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post02 July 2012, 06:45

Looks great tifreak, stuff seems to really be coming along!

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post02 July 2012, 12:52

Thanks guys!

I just completed Ice Heal. No screenshots yet, sorry. Still have a slight issue with it clearing out the screen when the item isn't usable on the battling pokemon.

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post11 July 2012, 12:54

Confirmed working.

Yes, I know it didn't clear the status properly, that's the fault of ZPP (which is fixed). And by fixed, I mean I fixed the placement of the status messages when switching a Pokemon from the party out to the battles. And I fixed that annoying ass bug that was plaguing me. Hooray for thinking I did something and totally not having done it. :/

Wrote the code out for the Leaf Stone to the point that it says it cannot be used during battles.

Copied the code from Elixir for Max Elixir. Made some of the changes so Max Elixir will work properly, plus I found a few optimizations in the Elixir code I can do to knock maybe 100 bytes off.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post11 July 2012, 23:52

Looks good. And wow if a single items needs hundreds of bytes to code, how big is your total game already? :D

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post12 July 2012, 01:11

It's somewhere over 110k lol. I've made a few optimizations for the items to hopefully help knock it down about 1.5kb

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post16 July 2012, 13:13

Small update, got a bunch of items written in, had to change a few items around location wise in the list. This also allowed me to make a few optimizations to the appvar containing all the code for items, and allow the item display program to handle some of that code. Also changed things around so the items display program can better handle items based on being in or out of battle.

Sadly, no screenshots as of yet. Just trying to keep somewhat updated everywhere on what is going on. :p

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post23 July 2012, 04:02

This project is a beast tifreak, glad to see you are still putting in all this effort after so many years.

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post23 July 2012, 15:21

I just wish I had had Tokens a long time ago, might have gotten a lot further than I am now. :p

And thanks :D I don't plan on stopping until the project is complete.

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post30 September 2012, 16:25

I'm still alive! \o/

With the help of KermM and JamesV, benryves' sprite routine was updated to allow me to do this:

Well, it didn't turn out as badly as I thought it was going to. However, seems my hex was a bit wibbly-wobbly there on sprite 3. Going to have to fix that.

Edit:

That better? :)

Edit2:

Thoughts? I'm considering making the bounce happen a couple of more times with a 'stationary' pokeball, then have it open, sort of.
Next

Return to Announce your Projects