Simul 2

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Simul 2

Post20 November 2011, 18:17

'Nother zContest entry: a complete remake of Simul, my game of multitasking. The goal is to play several games at once, on the same screen, switching the games once in a while—without dying. Here's a quick rundown with some still screenshots.
Simul 2 is a game of multitasking. In Stage 1, you switch among six minigames (Pong, Falldown, Avalanche, Jump, Tunnel, and Obstacles), playing each one for a few seconds before switching to the next, Your goal is to simply keep alive in six games in a row.

In Stage 2, you do the same thing—but with two games on the screen at a time. The game on the right is controlled by the normal arrow pad (up and down, or left and right), while the one on the left is controlled by four keys on the left side of the calculator (either MODE and X,T,θ,n for up and down, or ALPHA and STAT for left and right).

Pass that and you get to Stage 3, where the left half of the screen is split into two quarters, one controlled by MODE/X,T,θ,n and the other by ALPHA/STAT. The right side still contains a single game controlled by up/down or left/right arrow keys.

Six more sets of games, and you get to the final stage, Stage 4. As you can probably tell, that's playing four games on a single screen. At once. Beat six sets of that, and you win; then the game goes into infinite mode, so you can keep playing that four-game awesomeness :D

For those of you who have played (or tried to play) the original Simul, know that Simul 2 is much more playable. After many failed attempts I managed to get to Stage 4 at medium speed (out of three speeds: slow, "For the casual multitasker"; medium, "For the more courageous ones"; and fast, "For the insane"). You're allowed to die as many times as you need to, but remember that you must pass six sets of games in a row to pass each stage. It also lets me implement a new high-score system that wasn't there in the first version, based on the number of times you died and the speed you used. New stuff, all :)

Madskillz

Site Admin

Re: Simul 2

Post20 November 2011, 21:41

Wow that is insane....four games going on a single screen. I remember seeing Simul over at Omnimaga.

Post24 November 2011, 01:41

It looks lots better than Simul. Great job on it!

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post03 December 2011, 05:08

Done and uploaded. Download the new version here!

Post03 December 2011, 18:50

Deep Though : As you know, you're asm judge with 4 other people. A unique topic was created on cemetech for asm judges. Be sure to check this link : http://cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170316#170316

Anyway, I wish you the best for you and your simul 2 project ! :)

edit : sorry for the off topic post

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post07 January 2012, 18:21

Sorry I didn't see your post contra-sh, but I did take care of that topic, and judging is over now. And Simul won for the xBASIC section! :D

I'll be uploading this to ticalc as soon as I fix some stuff (like the glaring uselessness of the help item).

chickendude

Staff Member

Post08 January 2012, 16:52

Congratulations, it's nice to see original ideas :)

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post09 January 2012, 05:43

Yeah great to hear! Congrats

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post09 January 2012, 13:14

Your brain must explode with so many game (and website and miscellaneous) ideas...

Return to Announce your Projects