Settuping up Subversion

Need help with programming? Feel free to ask anything. Answers are welcome as well!
  • Author

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Settuping up Subversion

Post14 January 2012, 02:04

Can someone give me a quick run-down on how to get SVN working/running? I'd like to use it as a nice way to program back and forth between window$ and Ubuntu and have another backup of my code somewhere.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Re: Settuping up Subversion

Post14 January 2012, 11:43

You have svn installed I guess (otherwise on ubuntu: apt-get install svn).

The KDE programs on ubuntu: apt-get install kdesvn kompare
or there is http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/ (never tried that one though)
or the command line svn
or Eclipse built in svn client

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post14 January 2012, 15:13

Yeah, i've got svn installed, but i'm not really sure how to set up a "space" to actually use it, how to download/upload files to that space, etc.

Update: Ok, so i'm not sure if Launchpad is actually intended for this or not, but i've got Monopoly uploaded (using bazaar).
https://launchpad.net/z80monopoly
I'm new to all this, so i'm not quite sure what the standards and stuff are. Right now i'm looking for a nice way to integrate bazaar into Ubuntu, and it seems like there's a package to integrate it into nautilus, so we'll see.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post15 January 2012, 12:51

Cool you have bug reporting there and everything! :)

But I'm not sure if bazaar is the thing you want to use over svn. Or what about github? Tutorials are here: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2634130

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post15 January 2012, 20:34

I dunno, it seems to work more or less the same way. I've already done a couple "revisions", just deleting files (like monopoly.lab, monopoly.bin) which didn't really need to be there. I was thinking about github, i just wanted something that wasn't google (google code) or micro$oft (codeplex). To me, it doesn't really matter as long as i can host my code somewhere online, though for a small z80 project like this it might be a little overkill.

Do you have experience using SVN/Git/bazaar/etc.? What do you use/recommend? I see GitHub is free for open source projects...

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post16 January 2012, 11:35

I used svn for a while when I was programming C# more heavily. That was Windows7 + VS2010 + TurtoiseSVN, which worked very well.

If I did open source and online repo, I would try github. The Linux kernel is on there, too! :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post16 January 2012, 13:56

Awesome, i'll check it out, thanks!

Return to Programming Help