Getting started in C++

Need help with programming? Feel free to ask anything. Answers are welcome as well!
  • Author

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Getting started in C++

Post20 October 2011, 17:41

I'd like to start some computer programming, specifically with C++ as it's been somewhat of a dream or desire of mine since middle school. What I'm thinking of for the moment is doing something like this:
http://lwt.sourceforge.net/
...which doesn't seem to be too incredibly complicated for a first project. Eventually, i'd like to be able to participate in some of the WabbitStudio apps (like the map/tile editor Madskillz and i were talking about on the "old" site). I've studied tons of things in C/++ over the years, so i can make a mean for loop and case all the switches you want, but as for actually writing a real, useful program, i have no clue where to start. I'm currently going through this tutorial (in French) and another on wikibooks (also in French) and have just started making programs with windows with Qt. It all seems really big and i'm not really sure where to go from here.

Basically, what should i look into? How can i get started writing programs that are actually useful?

NanoWar

Site Admin

Re: Getting started in C++

Post20 October 2011, 19:12

If you are into Qt, is that because you want to do C++ with Linux?

And LWT is some kind of program that helps you to learn a language like french right? (Hah would be cool if you learned c++ there...)

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Re: Getting started in C++

Post20 October 2011, 20:14

Yeah to both. I'm currently practicing on Windows but i'd like it to code for Linux (since if i had my own computer that's what i'd use). Right now, though, the main reason for Qt is that that's what the tutorial uses :)

And LWT is basically a program where you can upload a text and use an online dictionary to check unknown words. Words you've already looked up are stored in a DB and show their definitions when you hover over them. Right now, it's got a few things that i'd like to change, for example all forms of a word show up as distinct words (am/is/was/were etc. are four distinct words and each have their own entry in the DB) and it also doesn't handle phrasal/compound verbs (like take out in English: take something out of your pocket).

Return to Programming Help