New website about z80 calcs

• Author

contra-sh

Topic Starter

New website about z80 calcs

Post05 February 2013, 16:22

Hi,

yes, another website about z80 calcs :D

It's intended to become another community website.
Currently the content is very poor but I plan to add some original content as assembly tutos, source code review and this kind of things (mostly assembly stuff)
Like code review, tutorials, assembly program review ...

Here the links :

Home : http://www.ti-84-plus.com/index.php

And of course a forum : http://www.ti-84-plus.com/forum/index.php

Please give me some feedback, what you think about the design, and what you espect from a website like this.
Do not take care about content, there's currently nothing...

NanoWar

Site Admin

Re: New website about z80 calcs

Post05 February 2013, 17:54

First, thanks for mentioning us.

Hmm content, I dont know, there are so many similar websites. But yours looks like a great way to start and ... find our community :)

Then my first impression design-wise:
ti-84-plus-com.png
(254.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet

contra-sh

Topic Starter

Post05 February 2013, 19:00

Thanks for your help for the design :)

If you want to know what I think, I would like to bring something more focused on assembly development. With tutorial sample code, not only forum help about asm, but real code sample to do usual tasks.
I also never see asm code review, or even news about small or medium assembly programs, I would like to dig ticalc to try and talk about nice assembly progs I discover.
I think it could be something cool and a bit original.

On another hand, basic programmers and hybrid programmers are welcome, I'm just not the good person to help these people but I hope some others will be here to do that :)
That's why I want to keep a kind or general website (this is not called "z80-assembly-hq" for this reason maybe it's a misteake idk time will tell).

Anyway thank you for then encouragement !

chickendude

Staff Member

Post05 February 2013, 20:59

Personally, i'd like to see a more assembly-specific place. I like all of those ideas, especially breaking down routines and explaining how they actually work. For example, you want to know HOW the ion routines work (i think that's the beauty of assembly, you can tailor everything to your needs and don't have to rely on someone else writing a library to handle what you want to do), then come check it out! I think there's plenty of support for Axe and BASIC programmers, and that's fine. There's also lots of assembly support, mostly in the abandoned programming help sections of the various forums, but to be fair there are a lot of really knowledgable asm programmers around and helping out with questions, etc. whenever they arise. You just need someone to ask the questions, first.

It would be cool to build a source database, a database of games which have released their source as well as routines and other useful bits of code (like sample engines to handle objects, enemies, physics, 3D, animations, scrolling, and whatever else you can think of).

I really like the name z80-assembly-hq, btw :D It'd be nice to make assembly feel more accessible, as i really don't think it's all that difficult. The most confusing part for me personally of assembly is interacting with the ports, that is, the hardware. Assembly itself i don't really think is that complicated, at least not for our simple little 83's and 83+'s.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post06 February 2013, 00:58

contra-sh wrote:I would like to bring something more focused on assembly development. With tutorial sample code, not only forum help about asm, but real code sample to do usual tasks.
I also never see asm code review, or even news about small or medium assembly programs, I would like to dig ticalc to try and talk about nice assembly progs I discover.
I think it could be something cool and a bit original.

Oh ok, that's not what the site communicated to me, but it sounds very very good. I would LOVE to read (or even write) code reviews. My guess is, that the overall code quality the community produces is quite different. I often find myself thinking back of the code battles between Spencer and Jim e on our old boards, it's such a shame it got deleted. On MaxCoderz are plenty more.

Oh I would also love a collection of code snippets like: http://pastebin.com/u/Zeda or timendus API that also got lost :( .

chickendude

Staff Member

Post06 February 2013, 04:08

I wanted to start posting different routines i've written over the years, for example my tilemap routine, many different sprite routines (clipped, masked, etc.), fastcopy routines that only update a portion of the screen, and so on. I don't think they're that optimized, but it could be a useful starting point for someone else looking to write their own.

It seems like a lot of the code battles nowadays are trying to improve Axe routines ;)

contra-sh

Topic Starter

Post08 February 2013, 14:46

Oh I would also love a collection of code snippets like: http://pastebin.com/u/Zeda or timendus API that also got lost

You ask it, I've made it !

http://ti-84-plus.com/stack.php

You've now access to a collaborated assembly stack where you can post routines, propose a another solution for a problem (using the "propose another routine" button).
You can vote for the best routines. Posting and getting votes gives you reputation points (and points to vote too) :)

You can filter routines by title (hashtag), recent, most famous, random. You can also use the tag cloud :)

And of course with colorized syntax :p

Enjoy !

chickendude

Staff Member

Post08 February 2013, 21:40

Cool idea! Though it might be a bit easier to use if routines could be organized a little more, maybe into math, lcd, link, graphics, etc.? I'll try putting up some routines tomorrow!

contra-sh

Topic Starter

Post28 February 2013, 20:04

First code review, this is the code from Kerm Martian (demo ti84plus C SE) :
http://www.ti-84-plus.com/ti-84-plus-review-ti84pcseball.php

I should add that it could cointains errors, or approximations but I hope this could even be useful :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Post01 March 2013, 00:37

Cool! Though in the LFSR_PRNG routine, what he does is:
-rotate the seed one bit to the right
-if there was a carry (ie bit 0 was a 1) he XOR's (not AND's) %00111000 then saves the seed again.
-then he sets bit 6 and returns to the routine. (i'm not sure why though)
-there he ands $02 and dec a's, so the xvel should be either 1 (2-1) or -1 (0-1), since there's no possible way a can = $01 after you and $02.

Haven't finished looking through the rest of the review, but i like it! One thing though, it might be useful to explain why and not what he does, for example in the beginning you say Kerm outputs 1 to port $20. Why? Because that puts the calc in 15 mhz mode! :) Very cool, though!

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post02 March 2013, 00:25

Yep very cool and quite a .. modern program you found there :) . But as chickendude said, it's sometimes not enough to write out the code in english.
Or with Madskilllz words: Keep up the good work!

Return to News and Announcements