Ruby on Rails

You can discuss anything here that doesn't fit elsewhere
  • Author

NanoWar

Site Admin

Topic Starter

Ruby on Rails

Post26 February 2013, 23:59

Hey guys! The last 10 days or so I was digging myself under the earth, because I'm in the middle of a two week hard core (12h per day) ruby on rails course. So I just wondered if any of you has experience with either ruby or rails? And if so, what are your experiences with it? I am totally amazed by rails and just wanted to share this feeling :green: .

Madskillz

Site Admin

Re: Ruby on Rails

Post27 February 2013, 01:51

Never dabbled in it, I watched a presentation on it from a classmate in college. Seemed interesting at the time.

Post27 February 2013, 04:34

I think Ashbad on Cemetech has done some stuff with ruby. i've never heard of rails though. *edit* Or if I have, I don't remember.

chickendude

Staff Member

Post28 February 2013, 12:20

What would you(/can you/should you) use Ruby on Rails to do? I played with Ruby a tiny bit trying to get a download script working to pull all the entries off an online dictionary, but really i don't enjoy high-level programming (or programming on computers in general) as much as assembly (and programming on little machines). ;) I don't really know what the difference between Ruby/Ruby on Rails is, is Ruby on Rails essentially a web-version of Ruby?

Post01 March 2013, 08:51

Last year I used RoR when I was working on this website during my trainig course : http://www.wordans.ca/

That's pretty cool, but I think it needs a long time to really know RoR. And when you create an empty project, it already contains more than 10 or 20 files due in particular to the MVC concept (but if you compare to Pylons or Django with python that's really big). Anyway, that's cool, I understand why RoR has so much fans :D

I don't really know what the difference between Ruby/Ruby on Rails is, is Ruby on Rails essentially a web-version of Ruby?

Ruby is the programming language, Ruby on Rails is the framework for web programming. RoR is the ruby "killer app" :D

NanoWar

Site Admin

Topic Starter

Post02 March 2013, 00:36

Right. And with the awesome support by community gems (http://rubygems.org/) it is really easy and fast to roll out small website projects.

BTW: I would love to have something like gems for asm... ti-gems :) like plugins that contain helper routines e.g. the rectangle routine by chuckendude etc. which you can include in any asm project!

chickendude

Staff Member

Post02 March 2013, 02:19

You mean something like the Funk library?

EDIT: Actually, that might be an interesting idea. Maybe you could have a shell that supported external libraries, maybe AppVars loaded in archive. The header of the program would list any libraries you used and load those routines into RAM (and either update the calls or provide a jump table somewhere). That way you could create libraries and share them, someone could write a tilemap library for example that programs could share, or line/shape routines, text routines, anything really. Even a direct input routine like Jim e's would be useful and save a few bytes in quite a few programs.

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post09 March 2013, 19:06

hmm that does sound like a neat idea.

Return to Open Discussion