New laptop

You can discuss anything here that doesn't fit elsewhere
  • Author

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

New laptop

Post22 October 2011, 22:37

Hey all, i'm thinking of getting a new laptop to replace the old one that i irreparably broke a few months ago and was wondering if anyone could point me towards a nice cheap (maybe 300-500€?) laptop which'd be almost exclusively for coding/studies (by that i mean apart from a nice psx emulator it's not intended to be a game machine). My old laptop was actually a 10" netbook and honestly i was pretty satisfied with it and wouldn't mind getting another one if it turns out to be more cost efficient. As i know virtually nothing about computers, if anyone could offer some suggestions i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Re: New laptop

Post23 October 2011, 23:31

Actually hard to say, since you would probably want to buy one at a local store or "local" online shop. I like samsung, that's all I can say. Ah and dont buy Windows with it, get it free from university or so when you can. No reflective lcds.

Buckeye Dude

Staff Member

Post24 October 2011, 03:32

Comparison Specs:
Lower End:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834101252
Good:
Cheap, decent specs, will handle most everything you want to do with it.
Bad:
Slow hard drive, meh battery life

Mid Range:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834157679
Good:
Better battery and hard drive, still does what you want, screen is anti glare and non glossy
Bad:
More expensive for not a huge gain, especially if you're not going to do anything intensive (gaming, video editing, etc)

Given what you want, I don't think you'd really need any more then the specs that are in these. The most important things to look at for you are the hard drive, the RAM, and the battery life.
For the hard drive my reccomendation would actually buy a slightly cheaper machine, and spend some extra money on an SSD. There getting down to $1 a gig these days, and they are soooo fast. Of course you have to sacrifice space, but most cheap laptops are 320GB anyways. If you don't want to spend more on an SSD or go through the trouble of installing it, then make sure you get a 7200 RPM drive. 5400 RPM is very usable but theres a big performance difference between the two.
For RAM, 4 GB is probably fine. Anything under that and you'll probably notice some paging when running some RAM hungry applications. You'll also want DDR3, I don't think anyone is still pushing DDR2 but you never know. Also if it says something like DDR3 1066 the bigger the 1066 number the better.
Battery life is kinda hard to tell in store. Often times they'll give you a number, but its only under the right conditions, or its if you're letting your laptop just sit there doing nothing. A couple things to look for is how big the battery is. At minimum you want a 6 cell battery (pretty standard), 8 cell is good, 12 cells are awesome. Also watch for power consuming things like bluetooth, or quad core CPUs, or whatever else they want to stick in there. If you don't need it, they'll just consume power. The other big power consumer is the wifi, , so it might be worth while to look it up and see how much of a power drain its been to other people.

I'd have to agree with Nano's suggestion to go into a local store, and at least try out the different brands they have there. A lot of the brands will reuse similar cases, so see who has a style you like, one that feels natural to type on, looks nice, isn't too heavy etc. Also when you get it, if you can immediately reinstall Windows, or linux if thats how you roll. Get rid of whatever crap they preinstall on there.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post25 October 2011, 11:06

Wow, thanks a ton you two! I've looked around and found a couple (what i think are) nice laptops, but really (that i can find) only that HP you recommended has a 7200 rpm drive. And ideally i'd like to dualboot, mostly because i've grown too accustomed to the WabbitSuite :D

For example, i found a couple fairly cheap Acers:
8gb/500gb
http://www.aceronline.es/shop/acer-aspi ... -3777.html
4gb/500gb
http://www.aceronline.es/shop/acer-aspi ... -3560.html
4gb/640gb
http://www.aceronline.es/shop/acer-aspi ... -3850.html

I'll try to stop by a few stores when i've got the time and see what's stocked locally. Thanks again for all the help, i really don't know what to look for in a computer :/

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post25 October 2011, 13:09

chickendude wrote:... i really don't know what to look for in a computer :/

1. Processor (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html)
2. Laptop layout, where are the plugs, how is the touchpad, is the FN key please not at the bottom left
3. Battery
4. Graphics Card, HDMI for monitors?
4. RAM (4GB)
5. Hard drive space (>500GB)

Post28 October 2011, 01:47

As buckeye pointed out, newegg is a pretty reputable site with decent prices.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post28 October 2011, 10:13

But it's based out of the states, isn't it? I imagine shipping costs for me would be quite high.

Post29 October 2011, 04:39

I'm not sure, probably. I thought you were in the states though. Your english has always been perfect as far as I can tell. :D

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post29 October 2011, 13:33

That's 'cuz i'm from the states, but am not living there anymore ;)

Post30 October 2011, 04:36

Oh, that explains it then. :)

Post04 November 2011, 14:17

Hey chickendude :)

A new laptop soon ?? cool :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post05 November 2011, 19:10

Yep, probably at the start of next month. Also, i've checked around here and everything is either a) completely boring or b) way expensive. There was one that seemed interesting, but it has no CD/DVD drive which, while i rarely use it, it'd be nice to have even if it's only to install linux and not have to deal with a USB install. I'm not sure if i'm quite ready to take the jump... Though otherwise it did seem like a nice computer.

Post08 November 2011, 18:14

Which Gnu/Linux distribution do you use?

I think the same think, for usb install I think I'm not ready to take the jump too :)
CD/DVD drive is always useful :)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post08 November 2011, 18:48

I rarely need a CD/DVD drive. Sometimes it's cool for films and for others helping you out when Windows broke again it's nice for them to be able to use Ubuntu from CD to recover.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post08 November 2011, 23:24

Yeah, i hardly ever use it either, really only to install linux/try to fix my system when it crashes. Contra, i've only ever played with Ubuntu (like most people who've switched over to linux) and Slackware.

Post09 November 2011, 15:33

Slackware is one of my favorite :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post10 November 2011, 09:51

What is your current setup, contra?

Post01 March 2013, 08:52

debian :)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post02 March 2013, 00:22

Hah you necro poster :D . What makes you use debian over ubuntu for example?

Return to Open Discussion