z80 Tower Defense?

Here you can share sprites, code, sheets or ideas that you have
  • Author

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

z80 Tower Defense?

Post06 June 2013, 16:49

My first introduction to tower defense games were in StarCraft maybe 10 years ago, but they were super fun and i liked working together for once (instead of fighting against each other). Later several years passed until i stumbled across an odd little game where you build little towers, earned money, upgraded them and built new ones. The concept was so simple and the gameplay was so easy, but it was super addicting. I don't play games that much anymore, but every once in a while i'll hop online and it's almost always tower defense games i end up playing. I found a nice little game on ticalc:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 42692.html

..but it just doesn't feel complete. It's got some bugs, tower types are limited, no campaign, etc. Don't get me wrong, it's a really fun game and pretty well implemented, it just doesn't quite feel polished. I dunno if any of you like/play/have played TD games, but it seems relatively simple. You could even limit the viewing area to one screen (like the other version) and put all processing power into those little bullets shooting everywhere :D

So how 'bout it, TD z80?

NanoWar

Site Admin

Re: z80 Tower Defense?

Post06 June 2013, 22:02

How many bullets can a z80 compute? :D I would call it zTower, but TDz80 sounds great, too.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post07 June 2013, 08:36

In the game on ticalc there appear to be quite a few, i'd venture as far as saying close to a hundred perhaps more! Since the screen is fixed and you can't do anything but watch during the attack all processing power can be spent on bullets (and little moving enemy guys). I'm not sure if it uses the 84+'s extra speed or not, though. When there were what looked like hundreds of bullets onscreen it did slow down noticeably, but it's not a big deal since you can't do anything anyway.

Oh, and another issue with that game are the keypresses. If you want to cancel building a tower you're pretty much guaranteed to start the next wave. So you just have to try to buy something you don't have enough money for. It is a pretty cool interpretation of a tower defense game, though. I'd just like to see something a little more complete :D

I had another idea for a Phoenix-style RPG, but lately haven't done any programming. Let's see if i can stop playing around online, put the books aside, and get cracking!

Btw, calculating bullets should be pretty easy, all they need are an initial X/Y velocity, coordinates, and let 'em fly! Things like laser's would be cool too, though! I dunno why but i like the name TDz80, too. We might need something a little more creative/related to the story, but TDz80 or zTower are both fine to get rolling.

Post09 June 2013, 12:31

If you want to try making something that has tons of bullets onscreen I'd ask Iambian or Geekboy on Omnimaga. CaDan has tons of bullets onscreen at once, and I don't think it has much of a slowdown issue. :)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post09 June 2013, 16:58

I dont even think drawing every bullet would be neccessary, only the computation needs to be done. I'd love to be able to build during the wave.

Return to Resources and Ideas