Maximum Security

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

Madskillz

Site Admin

Re: Maximum Security

Post14 August 2014, 06:16

Man that is amazing how you got so much stuff going on and it still seems completely playable. Nice work Deep Thought, I've been impressed since the get go with this little concept of yours. Sounds like you're close to wrapping it up. Can't wait.

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post14 August 2014, 08:57

Just got back from a weeklong vacation, back to work on this!

Well, I sold my soul and am now using Fullrene (a library that removes the execution limit in Axe programs). To make me feel better, I'm using my newfound free space to make a new, graphical level select page—it shows a little minimap of the level, where each tile is either a black or white pixel (so you can't actually plan the level ahead of time). There's a little lock icon overlaid on this minimap for locked levels, too :D

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post16 August 2014, 06:21

Fully working integrated level editor demo here: [redacted]

Everything's under the Maker option (except for actually testing levels, for which you'll need to go under Start, because I haven't put in a good way to switch back and forth yet).

Here are some notes on how to use it:
The next page is the level pack select screen. The first option allows you to create a new level, for which you need to specify the name of the level and the password for editing.

The final page is the level select screen. There is one empty level by default. Press + to create a new level, - to delete a level, 2nd to start editing, and CLEAR to go back.

When you're actually editing a level, press Mode to access the toolbar (or just use TRACE/GRAPH to swap blocks quickly), 2nd to put down a block, DEL to clear a block (same as adding a blank block), ENTER to save immediately, and CLEAR to quit.

Essential features that will be implemented in the next version are * to move a level down and ÷ to move a level up.

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post18 August 2014, 22:05

Turns out there were some potentially crash-inducing bugs in the last version, so here's a fresh build of the program.

Besides the level management bugfix, it also includes:
  • Bugfixes in the level editor (the level editor was occasionally quitting for no apparent reason)
  • Bugfixes in the core engine (my my, debugging uncommented two-year-old Axe code is fun)
  • Two demo levels that will probably make it into the final default level pack
  • New level editor controls (* to move a level down and ÷ to move a level up)
Here are some screenshots of the new levels:

And here's just another screenshot of the physics engine, for the pretty effects :P

Download link for main program: http://www.omnimaga.org/maximum-securit ... tach=17939

Download link for level pack: http://www.omnimaga.org/maximum-securit ... tach=17938

chickendude

Staff Member

Post21 August 2014, 19:35

I've got to put the TI-OS back onto my calc (i've currently got KnightOS on there) but i will load both these on there as soon as i do, it'll give me something to do on the plane at least :) It's looking great! Did you ever figure out a way to implement a storyline into levels?

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post23 August 2014, 00:43

I think I'm going to pass on the storyline for now—the game is heavy enough as it is and hardcoding a story line into the default levels would add more bulk. (Someday I might go ahead and do that and just compile the thing as an application. Come to think of it, the game is probably going to be a good size for a one-page app once I stick some default level code in there, so we'll see.)

In any case, "CONGRATULATIONS \ YOU ARE A FREE MAN" seems like a decent enough way to wrap up the game while making the title relevant :P

EDIT: Make sure you get the new version in the post immediately above this one (in this post), not the one I'd released earlier—turns out that earlier version had some bugs rendering the level editor all but useless, along with a memory leak or two >.> New version seems to be fine, found all the leaks.

chickendude

Staff Member

Post23 August 2014, 16:54

I've just loaded it up to my calc and it's super hard. I always get shot by the turrets at the end trying to run to the goal!

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post24 August 2014, 01:52

First level or second?

In any case, these are difficult levels—the second one will almost certainly be the final default level, and the first might be third to last or something like that.

I should have released some easier levels for a demo I guess :/

chickendude

Staff Member

Post26 August 2014, 07:25

Both were super hard, though i finished the second one a bit faster once i realized you had to do it quickly. One thing that felt a little odd was if you jump and move at the same time (or press an arrow key and 2nd more or less at the same time), you go really slow and don't jump very far. I jumped on top of the turret in the first level a bunch of times because of that. I think X velocity should continue to increase as long as an arrow key is being held, regardless of whether or not you're in the air.

Also, in the first level, if you don't jump in time when the water fills up you just get stuck, i'm not sure if that was intentional or not. All you can do is drown yourself ;)

I also downloaded the version in the post at Omnimaga you linked to, but when i loaded up the map editor the screen froze with what looked like a tilemap with data read from somewhere it's not supposed to. Then it left the calc in split mode (half home screen half graph screen).

EDIT: Ah and the 2nd level was really fun, the first level was just frustrating since it takes a while to swim up to the two coins. Getting shot two or three tiles from the goal about 50 times in a row made me want to through my calc out the plane window :P

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post26 August 2014, 19:21

chickendude wrote:Both were super hard, though i finished the second one a bit faster once i realized you had to do it quickly. One thing that felt a little odd was if you jump and move at the same time (or press an arrow key and 2nd more or less at the same time), you go really slow and don't jump very far. I jumped on top of the turret in the first level a bunch of times because of that. I think X velocity should continue to increase as long as an arrow key is being held, regardless of whether or not you're in the air.
X velocity changes much more slowly when your character is in the air; it's designed the way Mario 64 (I think) and other games handle it, so it's a bit more realistic. I was also planning to use that as a gameplay factor—to jump across some gap you might need a running start, and to get that running start you might need to arrange things a bit.
chickendude wrote:Also, in the first level, if you don't jump in time when the water fills up you just get stuck, i'm not sure if that was intentional or not. All you can do is drown yourself ;)
There's a thing where you can hold 2nd while you're standing on solid ground in the water, start moving upwards (up arrow), and release 2nd while continuing to move up, and eventually you hop out of the water with some velocity. Not really documented and intuitive (and honestly more of a bug), but yeah, you need to get up the first water section in time :P
chickendude wrote:I also downloaded the version in the post at Omnimaga you linked to, but when i loaded up the map editor the screen froze with what looked like a tilemap with data read from somewhere it's not supposed to. Then it left the calc in split mode (half home screen half graph screen).
D: I have no idea why that should happen; was it at creating a new level pack? Does it happen again if you try? I might put in a quick error dumper in the next version to track down the bug.
chickendude wrote:EDIT: Ah and the 2nd level was really fun, the first level was just frustrating since it takes a while to swim up to the two coins. Getting shot two or three tiles from the goal about 50 times in a row made me want to through my calc out the plane window :P
I must have gotten lucky the first time I tried that level and decided the ending was simple enough :P Might need to change it.

chickendude

Staff Member

Post26 August 2014, 23:32

I think i just have trouble timing it, i tried it a couple times again but haven't been able to beat the first level again :P

The bug i got was after typing in the password to the level pack (are you supposed to type the password in twice?) and choosing level one, it acts like it's going to load but loads a bunch of junk on the screen. I just tried it again and this time i get the cursor and can move it around, but the level is filled with random stuff that goes off the edge of the screen (instead of the black line at the bottom you've got the first couple rows of the next row of sprites). The sprites shown when you press Mode all seem to be messed up, too. Pressing Enter showed the number 24 and then froze, so i had to take out the batteries.

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post30 August 2014, 15:22

Did I upload the wrong version? D: It's not supposed to show the 24 anyway, that was a debugging thing for my own use.

I'll upload a fresh copy when I get back, and play around to see if I run into any issues.
Previous

Return to Announce your Projects