Snakecaster: a 3D Nibbles game

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Snakecaster: a 3D Nibbles game

Post31 July 2012, 19:42

For the first part of TI-Concours, the Axe participants were asked to make a Snake game. I knew I couldn't win by graphics, because it's Axe, and someone was bound to make a gorgeous game complete with a title screen and shading and such. I tried to think up ways to make the game itself creative, but that didn't go anywhere either. It's Snake. Probably one of the oldest video games in history, and you can't really change the gameplay much or it's not going to be Snake anymore.

So I decided to make it as ridiculous as possible (partly as a joke, partly for experience, and partly in hope that at least some of the judges would be awed by my é1337 5k1LLz) by adding a raycaster. It's a raycaster in a Snake game. Completely overkill, but apparently it worked :D

Download

NanoWar

Site Admin

Re: Snakecaster: a 3D Nibbles game

Post31 July 2012, 20:47

Haha wow, very cool indeed! I guess there are more than this level?

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post31 July 2012, 21:33

There are eight levels. All eight level maps are stored in a single 72-byte block because I cheated and had level designs "overlap" each other :P

Deep Thought

Topic Starter

Post18 August 2012, 21:36

Got it on ticalc with a readme and stuff (and edited the first post to link there).

I forgot to mention that I also took the opportunity while fixing bugs in the new version to add a feature kindermoumoute suggested to me during the contest—namely, to allow a player to control a snake from the first-person point of view. You can use Y= to turn left and GRAPH to turn right. It's not as easy to play as with the normal arrow keys and 2D view because the field of view isn't terribly wide and bumping into a wall entails more damage than in your average raycasted game, but I guess it's a fun little extra.

Return to Announce your Projects