Juego

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

NanoWar

Site Admin

Re: Juego

Post04 October 2012, 19:10

What is it, are you buying bread in the library? Haha. Looks good, is there no health display during fights?

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post04 October 2012, 19:38

Buying bread at the bookstore, yeah ;) And thanks. I haven't figured out how i want to show the health yet during fights. I'm running out of space on screen! Maybe i'll let you push the stats button (mode) and a little bubble will pop up next to your players showing their health (and status)? I had the enemy health shown in a little box at the top but i think it looks a little crowded, and anyway, that was mostly to make sure that the damage was being taken correctly, i don't think i'll show the enemy hp later on. Yesterday i finished up the basic items interface, which now correctly reads the items and shows how many there are in your pack:

Things are starting to come together :)

EDIT: Oops, i forgot the tags around the image.

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post05 October 2012, 00:01

Cool I like the item selection. Knowing you, you'll probably update it and fine tweak stuff so it may look completely different but its shaping up pretty good so far.

Post16 October 2012, 05:18

Wow, this is looking great! Also, I know they took a while, but I think the tree sprites you posted a while ago came out quite nicely. :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post17 October 2012, 14:10

Thanks :) I've been working on another project (i think you might know which one ;)) the past couple weeks which is a little closer to being finished, but progress on this game is coming along slowly but surely. On a side note, my 83+ just arrived today and it looks like the menu/shop routine doesn't like running on actual hardware very much. It's likely because i'm not waiting long enough for the LCD driver. Works great on TilEm though!

On a side note, i'd forgotten how blurry the LCDs were.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post21 May 2013, 19:30

Btw, i've been working on this off and on the past week or so. I completely rewrote the text engine and now it's much more maintainable and also rewrote a large portion of the tilemapper. Now it's MUCH faster (thanks to pre-masking sprites ;)) and finally has support for bridges!
Oh, and i've completely restarted the battle system, too. I'm gonna have a Legend of Legaia-style attack input. Here you can see that the attack bar is drawn dynamically depending on how much room the character has for attacks :)

Most of the updates have been going on over at yAronet, but i thought i'd share over here too, since it's been pretty quiet lately,

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post21 May 2013, 19:41

I'm impressed. It looks just great, only a few things: There is so much grass :) on the map and in battle, maybe use a bit more white space. And I like the second character from the fight screen more, maybe use that one as a main character? Yours looks like a puppet to me, sorry, I hope this doesn't offend you! The blacking out could be a bit faster, but it looks good. The gate has a different 3D look than the connected wall, that looks strange. Wall is 3D, gate is 2Dish. I like the menus! The pointerfinger could be one pixel wider :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post21 May 2013, 20:31

I love your critiques, thank you! I agree that the main character doesn't look that great, i've spent a lot of time trying to draw different characters and i just can't come up with much i like. I also agree about the gate, it was mostly to get something working/proof that it actually did work, but i'll try to lower the top edge a bit and make room for something a little more 3D-ish. I've also attached two other characters i've drawn.

I also agree about the battle screen being a bit overloaded, right now it's just reusing tiles from the main world map, i'll draw some specific to the battles so that the screen doesn't look so crowded.

As for the cursor, i'd love to add an extra pixel, but that'd put me at 9 pixels :P

And the blacking out is just temporary, deeph told me i should have a transition between maps so i threw that together in like 30 seconds. I can make it quicker, but i think i'm just going to replace it altogether later with something a little prettier.

I'd love to hear any other critiques you've got, i think the floor in the "librería"/bookshop is a little too crowded/dark. I do really like the other floor tile i've got in the item shop, though i don't know if i've got a picture of it.

I started writing down lots of ideas for the battle routine, i can post them if anyone wants to discuss them but it's quite a bit of stuff and probably not as interesting as a screenshot anyway ;)

EDIT : I added the frontshot of the girl with the gun ("Porter"). Also, what do you all think of the items menu? I'm not sure if i like having the items cut off like that, but i think it's an easy way to show that you have more items and can scroll down. Otherwise, i can just add a blinking down/up arrow to show that there are more items.
Attachments
porter.bmp
porter.bmp (822 Bytes) Viewed 17986 times
puc.bmp
puc.bmp (822 Bytes) Viewed 17986 times
nadya.bmp
nadya.bmp (822 Bytes) Viewed 17986 times

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post22 May 2013, 10:13

Porter and Puc look better.

I like the cut off item names, but would expect it at the top, too. I prefer blinking arrows in my games, because it's easier ;) .

Have you tried a one pixel wider mask for characters? Maybe it looks better in fights when they have a white border?

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post22 May 2013, 12:13

That's a good idea, there's already a one-pixel mask around some parts of the battle screen, like the little menu in the center (which as a result of being lazy and not wanting to work with unaligned bytes, isn't actually in the middle), the little attack bar, and Porter's gun. None of the characters reach 16 pixels wide, except maybe their hair, so it shouldn't be too hard to do, just making the masks an extra 2 pixels taller.

You're right that the item names should be cut off at the top as well, to do that it might take a bit of a hack but since almost every scrolling menu will be a full-screen menu, i don't think it'll be an issue. I've also reorganized the stats menu to show the player's name, level, and experience (and i also fixed the Z, i'd accidentally erased a pixel at the bottom right). Other than that, today's just been preparation for my little trip. See you all in a week :)

Post25 May 2013, 13:23

Looks pretty nice! I definitely like the style. It looks like you have some weird pixels displaying on the tilemap when you are in motion though. :/ Also, the battle screen where you select an action reminds me of Lufia for the gameboy. :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post01 June 2013, 08:31

Thanks! The pixels are from TilEm, they don't show up on an actual calc. When i get some free time and energy i'm gonna work on laying out the battle system. I've written out a bunch of ideas, hopefully it shouldn't take that long to implement. I've decided to dedicate an entire page to the battle routine, so we'll see how it goes.

Post02 June 2013, 01:06

Ah, that's good. I thought it might be Tilem's fault. I wonder what's going on with that. :/ Have you reported it as a bug? Also, a whole page for the battle engine? :o What are you planning?

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post02 June 2013, 04:15

Lots of animations, lots of special attacks, lots of everything :D Most of it will probably be data, i want to have animations for all the different attacks and i was thinking of even letting characters move around the battle field and potentially protect hurt members, essentially you can't attack players that are behind other players with anything other than ranged attacks, but that idea hasn't quite solidified yet. But i want battles to be fun, not just "pick attack and wait, use magic and wait" etc.

I'm still debating between adding in an ATB or the standard turn-based battles. I think turn-based might be better overall, but i can think of a few cool uses for an ATB system, too. The biggest thing however is that i think programming an ATB system would be loads of fun! Playing with interrupts and those cool action bars! Maybe i can add in both and have it as an option. If i do add it in, i think it'd be better to pause it when doing anything other than waiting at the main action selection menu (eg. when attacking, selecting an attack, etc.). I've been playing FFIV lately and whenever an enemy attacks pretty much all characters have recharged their action bar just because the attacks take so long. I'm not sure i like that so much.

EDIT: And yeah, the artefact pixels issue has been mentioned to the TilEm folks :) I'm not sure what causes it, though.

Post02 June 2013, 12:22

FFIV was fantastic. :) I do love the ATB (if you put it on the harder setting, enemies still attack while you are in menus. If you put it on the basic setting, enemies are paused while in menus). I'd say it really depends on how you develop the battle engine. It may not fit well with what you end up deciding on. To me, design the battle system is always a blast. :D

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post02 June 2013, 12:43

Yeah, i'm really excited to start work on it too. Right now i'm just really backed up with Chinese vocabulary/characters that i need to review after having taken two fairly long vacations the past month or so :P I also came up with a fun idea for a game based off of Phoenix, sorta like an RPG version of Phoenix where you fly around a galaxy doing different missions and stuff gaining exp, upgrading your ship, etc. I even wrote a good part of the storyline (40 hours on a train is a looooong time!). So many ideas, now it just seems like trying to learn Chinese is getting in the way.

Post08 June 2013, 12:49

That sounds like a pretty neat game idea too. I've actually played something kind of like that. It's always hard to find time for stuff though.

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post16 June 2013, 04:27

I love the new screenshots. I know I'm a little late to the party but I love the style of the graphics. The layered backgrounds are great.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post17 June 2013, 13:45

Thanks :D It's an idea i stole from the GBA. I was working on this pretty regularly, but i've gotten a little behind in other things so it's on the backburner again. But things are more organized/structured now which makes programming much easier. It's also much faster than before. I'd say after the summer i should have a lot more time to work on this and other projects. I won't have any time over the summer.

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post18 June 2013, 04:43

I hear you about being busy...I got a job offer today at another company that has got me thinking about going. I suppose it is good to have options but it is going to be a lot of work.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post18 June 2013, 11:07

Yeah, but luckily for me being busy means doing things i enjoy and not necessarily working, so i really can't complain :)

Post19 June 2013, 08:37

Make sure your code is commented so you aren't lost when you come back to this. :P

Post20 June 2013, 22:32

chickendude can't be lost, he's a machine ;)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post19 January 2015, 14:10

How is deeph's map editor compared to e.g. Tiled?

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post20 January 2015, 00:48

Deeph's map editor is tailored to Juego, so it lets me create brushes and everything pulled from my tileset. It's a little slow once you get a lot of brushes in their, but it's much more convenient than doing it by hand. I couldn't find anything that let me work with brushes and easily export to something close to the z80 format. I looked at a bunch of editors back in the day, can Tiled use brushes? What formats does it export to? Anything useful to us? I started writing my own map editor in C/SDL for GALL, it's really primitive but it works for what i need.
PreviousNext

Return to Announce your Projects