Juego

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Juego

Post04 July 2012, 12:49

This is a little project i started a couple years ago as a result of my attempt to write a smoothscrolling tilemapper (i dunno if anyone remembers the old topic at the old RS site). Every time i've started it i've had bad things happen, the first time both my computer's hard drive and my external hard drive crashed at the same time and i lost all the code. I re wrote it from scratch a year or two later, maybe around June of last year, and sure enough one month later in July i dropped my laptop and everything was again destroyed, save an old online backup. Now, nearly a year later, i've picked back up from the old code and gotten the engine about to the point it was at a year ago (though am still too lazy to do the sprites, i suck at sprites).

Here's where it stands now (yesterday i finally added in some accented characters):
Image (it's an introduction to the storyline, i dunno why the screenshot jumped through the text so quickly, too quickly to really be able to read, anyway. so far everything's in spanish, sorry.)
...and this picture shows off a little my ugly-coded tilemap engine (i really like being able to walk behind things :))
It works and the speed's ok for me, especially since you can "run".

Yesterday, i tried to start programming NPCs as objects (not attached to the map) that can walk around the map but kinda gave up on that idea for the time being for a few reasons:
-first and foremost, i was having a little trouble getting them to show properly on the screen and was really dreading the collision detection between the player and the npcs, which ties into the next point...
-i noticed the game slowing down considerably. The engine is already very clunky as it is. The map essentially has three layers, a ground tile which is drawn beneath tiles that don't take up the full 16x16 square, regular tiles, and tiles which have irregular heights/shapes (masked tiles, check out the roof of the house to see what i mean). So it's pretty slow. Luckily, for an RPG you can spend most of the processor power on the tilemap engine.
-and lastly, while i think it would be a nice touch, it just really isn't necessary.

Re: Juego

Post04 July 2012, 20:21

That looks pretty epic. :)I like the swishing of the dress in the top screenshot there, the text looks nice and it looks really fast overall.

Any story plot or otherwise you've developed for this game?

Also, I remember making NPCs walk in pokemon purple. It was a nightmare, but I finally managed to get it to work. I made a compromise, since I noticed slowdown as well. I simply only let it walk if I had not moved in X amount of cycles.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post05 July 2012, 05:58

Here's a little translation of what i've written up so far for the storyline:
Ari: (this is the guy at the left part of the map)
Ah what a man! Have you heard? He did it, yeah! We're gonna blow it all up, you'll see. A new world'll be born out of this misery like a flower in shit. The PODA (Partido Oficial Democrático de Astoli: Official Democratic Party of Astolia) is afraid of us now, and for good reason. Ah, but... i haven't seen Farber since last night. Where could he be?

Franci: (this is the main character, this will be her response)
I don't know. I doubt he was able to escape. They told me he was trapped among the rubble.

Police:
Hey! You two! Don't move! [shots fired] (segue into first battle)
--------------------------------
npc: (npc by the building on the right)
Have you heard about the terrorist explosion last night? They say it was a retaliation by the Vesna for having executed some of their members. I don't understand why it's necessary to spill so much blood...

npc: (first npc in the screenshot)
About twenty died in last night's explosion, all honest police officers with families. The terrorists say our government is corrupt and they're always talking about their freedom and all that jazz, but in my opinion their nothing but criminal bandits looking for an excuse for their delinquency. How can you justify murder, and on top of that, the murder of innocent people?

npc: (npc inside the shop)
I'm not defending them, the Vesna, but last night's attack doesn't really surprise me. To be honest, i'm almost glad it happend. The PODA needs to realize they can't just do whatever they want.
------------------------------------------------
Essentially, you're part of a terrorist group (the Vesna, short for Vesnachali) taking part in an uprising against the government which may turn into a full scale revolution. The group's aim is to replace the government with a classless leaderless egalitarian society. Things in mind are:
carrying out expropriations
prison breaks
attentats
planning political terrorist attacks (à la FF7)

I'm thinking it will probably end up being much larger than what RAM will allow for, unfortunately. I'd really like it to fit on the 83 but i dunno if it'll be possible. In all probability, i won't ever finish it. Hopefully i'll be able to get something playable, though.

The issue so far with the NPCs isn't only making them move, drawing masked sprites isn't particularly fast. I'll probably look into a little later when i'm a little further into development and have a better idea what the final speed of gameplay will be.

EDIT: The source is free to look through use abuse and do whatever you want with here (i think it should all be here, SVN has been a nightmare):
http://code.google.com/p/juego-rpg/

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post05 July 2012, 21:51

The run animation should not be faster than the walk animation (in fps). I love the name! :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post06 July 2012, 09:11

You think so? I figured since she was running she should move more quickly. It jumps two pixels at a time and adds two to the animation delay instead of one.

And the name is just temporary, Juego is Spanish for "game" ;)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post07 July 2012, 19:34

You could move the character up and down while walking/running.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post09 July 2012, 05:25

That's an interesting idea, i'll try to implement it and see how it looks, it should be pretty easy to do.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post12 July 2012, 13:26

I added in your suggestions, please let me know what you think.

I also started working on the framework to the battle engine and implemented stats for the player. Today most of my time, as usual, was spent trying to get the text routine much more flexible. It's still not quite there, but it's getting there. Everything borrows code from other routines, the stats menu is basically me passing a couple different parameters to the text menu, for example. It might wind up being easier and allow everything to look much nicer separating some of it, i guess we'll see.

Post12 July 2012, 13:46

I really love the old screenies of this on revsoft's former site. I'm really glad that you're working on it again! :) *edit* Saw the new screenie in omni's german section, no idea why you posted it there, but I had to come look and see if you had a topic for it anywhere here. I've been looking to see if you were going to repost it here for a while. :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post12 July 2012, 14:00

My internet is really slow and it took me about an hour to finally have the connection not time out before finishing the 400kb upload :P I uploaded it over there 'cuz i mentioned it there some time last year and people said they'd be interested in helping translate it to German when it gets to that point :)

Post12 July 2012, 14:06

Ah, wow, that sucks about your internet speed. XD That makes a bit more sense to me now though, now that you've explained it. :)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post12 July 2012, 18:14

When walking, the legs and the body should move rather slowly. Maybe only hop up and down not so often. There should be a major animation difference between walking and running.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post12 July 2012, 19:20

Each animation frame is 64 bytes, including the mask, and there are three frames, and four directions :/ Or are you still talking about the animation speed? I'll play around with it a little more, and see what i can come up with. Thanks for the suggestions.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post12 July 2012, 21:00

Yes the speed. Running looks just like if you fast forward the game :/ .

Maybe play Harvest Moon on Gameboy in an emulator, that game has good and simple walking and running.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post13 July 2012, 09:54

Spencer made a HM TI game a while back, didn't he? I remember it looking very nice, too, so maybe i will check that out as well. My pixel art isn't very good :/

And that's essentially what the running is doing, fast forwarding the game.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post17 August 2012, 15:14

I tried to get some nice tree sprites, but i'm not a very good artist. I spent like 6 hours drawing these and fitting them into my engine, any critiques/suggestions?
Attachments
juego.gif
trees trees and more treeeees
juego.gif (708.51 KiB) Viewed 12018 times

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post18 August 2012, 09:44

Cool! Maybe add some small shadow areas.

Post18 August 2012, 21:27

Wow, that looks really nice. The background is busy but it's not confusing at all! And the new character bobbing animation is great.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post20 August 2012, 19:47

Shadows would look nice, but i'm not sure how to go about drawing them. I'll play around with it a bit. Thanks :)

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post04 September 2012, 01:15

Man I gotta say the character animation is really spot on now. Like Deep Thought said there is a lot going on but it isnt too distracting. Looks really good chickendude!

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post06 September 2012, 10:12

Is she wearing a HAT btw?

Post06 September 2012, 23:52

I thought it was a cap of some sort, but now that you mention it I can imagine it being shiny hair...

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post09 September 2012, 22:49

I thought it was a bonnet ha

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post10 September 2012, 10:57

It's supposed to be some sort of bonnety-thing, like a handkerchief sort of. I started work on the battle engine (which meant a lot of reworking the text engine... again). But more than that, over at yAronet deeph's been helping put together an awesome map editor that handles the brushes and everything :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post03 October 2012, 02:21

Here's the latest screenshot:
Updates:
-random encounters (including killing/winning and getting killed/losing, in the screenshot you can see afterwards that i've only got 7 HP left. EDIT: err... no you can't, wrong screenshot. I didn't bring up the stats screen in this one :P)
-basic shopping interface (this took all fucking day to do, trying to work within/expand the limits of my text routine, but finally scrolling and displaying the description are working)
-another map (the items shop)
-24-bit math/number displaying routine
Soon i'm gonna (try to) start working on the event system. First i'll probably tackle items/inventory and money.
Next

Return to Announce your Projects