Grammer 2-The APP

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

Xeda

Topic Starter

Grammer 2-The APP

Post23 October 2011, 03:53

So I am a little too tired at the moment to go into too much detail, but to summarize it, Grammer is an interpreted programming language for the TI-83+/84+/SE. It has support for a bunch of stuff related to graphics and math and whatnot, so games can be made pretty easily. It isn't as fast as assembly, but the code is much smaller than assembly code and it is still much faster than TI-BASIC. I have a few screenies for the curious, too :)

Grammer 2
My little sandboxyish type game:
A fun little particle effect:
Mars2:
TileMapperizer thing that was too fast for me XD :
Chase:

So currently, Grammer has a ton of features (well, a half ton, maybe) and is a well functioning programming language :) The first screenie is the one made using the Grammer app while the rest are made when only the program was available.

chickendude

Staff Member

Re: Grammer 2-The APP

Post23 October 2011, 15:20

I really like the sandbox program :) How do you handle all the little sand grains? And are there tilemap features? For example, for smoothscrollilng etc.?

Post23 October 2011, 23:22

Those are some pretty awesome screenshots Xeda :)

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post23 October 2011, 23:33

The particles never stop moving, is that intended? They keep dancing.

Xeda

Topic Starter

Post24 October 2011, 01:27

I use a cellular automata idea for the grains. There are two particle types that I have programmed so far with these rules:
Particle Type 0: (Kind of like sand)
-Test pixel below. If open, move down. If not, move randomely to an adjacent position
ParticleType 1: (kind of boiling)
-Test pixel below. If open, move down. If not, choose a random adjacent position. If that isn't open, move up

And there is not yet a tilemap routine, but I am sure I will eventually add that XD I plan to use the Pt-Change( token for that :)

Thanks guys!

Xeda

Topic Starter

Post12 February 2012, 19:24

Wow, it has been a long time since I last posted o.o Well, let's see, I have added in sound, tilemapping, and grayscale. I rewrote the parser to be much faster, I changed the main menu of the app, I added an optional token hook, more rectangle options, updated drawing commands, and I moved to using an LUT for even faster trig math. There is support for searching for lines in programs, jumping to labels in other programs, jumping forward or backwards a relative number of lines, bitwise math, and a few more rectangle options. There is a string searching command, inserting or deleting data from variables, OS string support, multi-var support (so access to Str37 for example), and recently added was 32-bit number display. There has been a ton of new stuff added, as you can see, but that only begins to describe everything. So, here is the download and a few screenies:
Grammer 2 This includes the readme, tutorial, and app.
Tilemmaper:
Tetris:
some 3D ish effects:
Grayscale Tilemap: (you will notice the window on the left side of the house was made wrong XD )
Grayscale Sprite editor:

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post13 February 2012, 21:00

Yeah I followed the process on omnimaga and saw it uploaded on ticalc. An own subdirectory you got! It's really impressive, especially the grayslace mapper looks fantastic. If I started ASM-Basic (or what do you call the genre?) I would definitely try Grammer first!

Xeda

Topic Starter

Post15 February 2012, 03:50

Thanks! I've no clue what to call the genre, aside from a programming language. It has its own interpreter and so it does not use the built in TI-BASIC at all, but does use the same program editor and it is interpreted.

Xeda

Topic Starter

Post12 March 2012, 05:43

The only major thing I have added so far is official grayscale support. It only does 3-level gray at this point, but I rewrote the LCD updating code to about as fast as it used to be (maybe a little faster) while automatically updating in grayscale.

The basics:
You can define a gray buffer using Disp [sup]o[/sup] followed by the address or pointer. Then, you just draw stuff to the gray buffer and every time you update the LCD, a half cycle of gray is drawn :)

So here is an example (it looks like this or better on calc):

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post19 March 2012, 05:27

Sweet, looks really impressive thus far. Grayscale support is gonna be great. Games/Programs will have that little extra oomph

Return to Announce your Projects