Robot War - 83+

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Robot War - 83+

Post08 November 2014, 12:34

I guess it's been two years now. I spent about a week or so back in 2012 porting Robot War to the TI-83+ series. Today i dusted the folder off and decided to finish it off. Most of the work had already been done, i just cleaned up a few bugs that were left over, made a couple small optimizations and changes here and there, and fixed a spelling error (changing "stoping" to "stopping"). Most of my time today was spent playing through the game on my SE to see if everything worked, and i finally beat the game this afternoon :D

Here's the 8xp and the source:
-ROBOTWAR.8xp
-Source+8xp.

Btw, to get around the C000 limit i used Crabcake, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with the 83+. If you've got any ideas on how to get around the C000 limit on the 83+ let me know and i'll release an 83+-compatible version. Ah, and due to the size of the program (24000 bytes exactly, not including VAT entry) you'll have to delete basically everything with a VAT entry to fit it on there, at least if you want to have a save file. I guess i could read the save file from archive, but that would add more code to the main program, too.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Re: Robot War - 83+

Post21 November 2014, 15:31

Looks polished. Make it an APP maybe? :)

Where is the download?

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post23 November 2014, 04:12

The download is in the first post ;) I did a bit more work with it, i got it to work with the 83+, too. I've been thinking of converting it to an APP, the code would fit on one page just fine. The past few days i've been working on another project with deeph over at the yAronet z80 forums:
http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?sl=493&s=153983
..I'm currently converting it over to an app (unfortunately dropping 83 support, but there's just not enough memory on the 83). I guess i could open a topic about it here once i finish converting everything over.

I've attached the latest source/8xp, which is a couple hundred bytes smaller and should now work on the 83+ and the 15mhz calcs.
Attachments
RW Standard Edition 83+.7z
Source + .8xp
(243.84 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
ROBOTWAR.8xp
(23.31 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post04 December 2014, 04:14

How do you deal with the many SMC parts?

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post04 December 2014, 15:59

For the Pokémon game it's pretty much all converted over to an app now, i recoded all the routines that used SMC and replaced inline declaration ($+1 \ ld hl,0000) with actual variables (ld hl,(variable)). Now i'm just fixing up some of the text routines that were broken before.

For Robot War, i think the idea was not so much to recode the SMC parts but rather just copy them to RAM (probably just _InsertMem at $9D95). For the data, most of it is actually already compressed and unloaded into saferam as it is, so that part shouldn't be too difficult. Just have the extraction routines on page 2 with the data.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post15 January 2015, 21:04

Weird, I can't manage to leave the second screen (outside the house). At the edges I encounter some enemy that I cannot beat. Also the game crashed when I went to the item select screen (for the second time).

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post16 January 2015, 02:34

I'm not quite sure what you mean. By the second screen do you mean the outside area? You can walk through ("behind") the tops of trees to the right, if that helps any. I haven't had any errors with the item select screen in a long while, you're using the latest version (about two posts up)? Is this on an emulator or on calc? I'll load it up on calc and see if i can find any problems. I'll also try to reproduce the item menu error. Thanks.

NanoWar

Site Admin

Post16 January 2015, 15:44

Emulator. Yes latest version. It crashes every now and then.
Attachments
rw.gif
rw.gif (181.99 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post16 January 2015, 17:31

Weird. I played through the whole game on my 84+SE just fine. I'll see if i can figure what's going on.

chickendude

Staff Member

Topic Starter

Post18 January 2015, 13:10

That's so weird, it froze in my first battle when i loaded it up in TilEm (stuck in an infinite loop) but i restarted it before looking into it further and now i've gotten into about 50 battles but haven't had it freeze again.

Return to Announce your Projects