Calcopoly!

Got a calculator project that you're working on, tell everyone about it
  • Author

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Calcopoly!

Post31 July 2014, 12:51

Calcopoly was something I started a while back, primarily for the CSE, but I've been working more on the monochrome version than I have the color, lately. Anyways, Calcopoly is a Monopoly like game, using calculator projects as properties, authors as color sets, bytes as money, etc. I have boards completed (Thanks to weregoose and kermm on the color version):

Image Image

I have both versions to where they roll dice and such, though the color version has it set up so you can roll the die to move around the board, the monochrome I started working on getting property cards to display, and have nearly completed the Chance/Community Chest cards. I still have to add in code for the landing on Free parking, Go, and Go to jail slots.

Image Image

There is expected to be at least 2 versions, one for Omnimaga, and one for Cemetech, highlighting various projects by members.

I'm curious how many active programmers there are here for RevSoft, and if there would be enough authors and projects to fill a board..

chickendude

Staff Member

Re: Calcopoly!

Post31 July 2014, 22:27

Heh, i'm still active, MadSkillz still does stuff, Nanowar seems to get the programming bug from time to time, too. I've actually got my own Monopoly-style project, it's pretty far along so maybe i should finish it, too, or turn it into an assembly version of Calcopoly for RevSoft ;) ("Go to jail now, do not pass Go, and do not leave until Jim e comes back or Spencer finishes Zelda")

I'm trying to think what's left, an AI, trading, and maybe mortgaging?

Anyway, Calcopoly's looking great, the color screen really lends itself well to this sort of game.

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post01 August 2014, 00:07

Thanks. :D And yes, it does, that's why I started it, then I realized if I'm doing one, I might as well find a way to do both models!

And I'd love to see your ASM version competed. It was looking fantastic. As far as things go for my versions, they won't incorporate AIs, at all. This is for strictly human players. Not sure it'd work well to have an AI in BASIC, when I'm quickly running out of space.

This is the list of chance and community chest cards I employed:

Code: Select all
Community Chest

Hospital Fees, Pay 100 -> Screen cracked, Pay 100
Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200. -> Program Crashed, Goto RAM CLEARED. Do not collect 200
Recieve 25 consultancy fee -> Answered question on forums. Collect 25.
It is your birthday. Collect 10 from every player. -> You optimized other people's code! Collect 10 from every player!
You inherit 100 -> Re-use old code, gain 100
From sale of stock you get 50 -> Optimize your project, get 50
You have won second prize in a beauty contest, collect 10. -> You won second place in a programming contest, collect 10
You are assessed for street repairs; pay 40 per house and 115 per hotel you own -> Your code is optimized by another; pay 40 per beta, 115 per final.
Advance to go, collect 200 -> Advance to PRG RUN, collect 200
Bank errors in your favor, collect 200 -> Program runs without errors, collect 200
Get out of jail free. -> RAM CLEAR? Fresh backup!
Doctor'
s fees, pay 50 -> Scuffed casing, pay 50
Holiday fund matures, receive 100 -> Project gets featured, receive 100
Life insurance matures, collect 100 -> Project gets 100k downloads! Collect 100
School Fees. Pay 50 -> Programming the 83+/84+. Pay 50
Income tax refund. Collect 20. -> Received positive review! Collect 20.

Chance

Go back three spaces. -> Calc crash, lose 3 hours of progress
Speeding fine 15 -> Program lacks debouncing, pay 50
Advance to the nearest railroad. If unowned, you may buy it from the bank. If owned, pay owner twice rental of which they are otherwise entitled. -> Advance to nearest calculator. If unowned, you may buy it from the bank. If owned, pay owner twice the rental to which they are otherwise entitled.
Advance to the nearest railroad. If unowned, you may buy it from the bank. If owned, pay owner twice rental of which they are otherwise entitled. -> Advance to nearest calculator. If unowned, you may buy it from the bank. If owned, pay owner twice the rental to which they are otherwise entitled.
Your building loan matures. Collect 150 -> Your project is a year older. Collect 150.
Advance to Illinois Avenue. If you pass GO, collect 200. -> Advance to Doors CS. If you pass <PRG RUN>, collect 200.
Advance to nearest utility. If unowned, you may buy it from the bank. If owned, throw dice and pay owner ten times the amount thrown. ->
Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200. -> Program Crashed, Goto RAM CLEARED. Do not collect 200
Advance to Go. Collect 200. -> Advance to <PRG RUN>. Collect 200.
Bank pays you dividend of 50. -> Freed some RAM, gain 50
Make general repairs on all your property: For each house pay 25; for each hotel pay 100 -> Optimize your older projects: for each beta, pay 25; for each final, pay 100
Get out of jail free. -> RAM CLEAR? Fresh backup!
Advance to St Charles Place. If you pass Go, collect 200. -> Advance to Snake. If you pass <PRG RUN>, collect 200.
You have been elected chairman of the board. Pay each player 50. -> You have been made admin of the forum. Pay each member 50.
Take a trip to reading railroad. If you pass go, collect 200 -> Advance to TI-73. If you pass PRG RUN, Collect 200b
Advance to Boardwalk -> Advance to Phoenix

I'm sure there are a few things that could be worded better, but eh, people will get the idea :)

chickendude

Staff Member

Post01 August 2014, 15:17

I like the cards, they're great! As for an AI, yeah, it'll be a pain, but i imagine there aren't many situations where people will actually have someone else to play with. Maybe with a link cable it'd be ok, but i think at least a simple AI would be best. I've already got it set up and working for multiplayer stuff, so i think it wouldn't take much to get something playable out of it. I like the idea of Calcopoly better, as i really don't care much for the buying and selling stuff. What idea do you have in mind for the houses and hotels? Release candidates and official releases?

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post01 August 2014, 16:52

Yeah, pretty much that. The code for that is:

Text(2,2,Str2
Text(8,2,"Project Rent: ",L₅(1
Text(14,2,"Author Rent: ",L₅(2
Text(20,2,"Rent 1st beta: ",L₅(3
Text(26,2,"Rent 2nd beta: ",L₅(4
Text(32,2,"Rent 3rd beta: ",L₅(5
Text(38,2,"Rent 4th beta: ",L₅(6
Text(44,2,"Rent Final Rls: ",L₅(7
Text(50,2,"Next Release: ",L₅(8

I haven't figured out how to reword the mortgaged and unmortgaged aspects, yet. Maybe Open/Closed source? Might be a good counter to it.. Closed source would be the mortgage aspect of it.

Also, I might toy with an AI of sorts. The code, as it is, is fairly adaptable to allow it, so, might be able to come up with something simple.

chickendude

Staff Member

Post01 August 2014, 19:50

I was planning to just do Spencer's idea, essentially have the computer buy whatever they land on, perhaps stressing certain properties more than others. I like the closed/open source idea :) You could also do something like shelving a project and taking it back up.

tifreak8x

Topic Starter

Post01 August 2014, 22:56

Oooo~ I like that one too. Actually, I like that one better, that fits better with things!

I've checked the size of the game thus far, and I've just breached the 10kb mark.

I still have, at minimum, to implement:

Landing on property and not wanting it, instigates

1) auction if official rules, ignore if house rules
2) status screen to show off money, projects purchased, and their individual status of each project
3) what happens when you run out of money, checking for projects to shelve, and other options in regards to this situation.

I sure hope I have sufficient RAM to make this fully work :<

Madskillz

Site Admin

Post14 August 2014, 06:21

Looks cool, has there even been a Monopoly game that's been finished ha? I'm still around, I haven't touched z80 in a very long time. I still pop in to check on projects about once a week. I still do some graphics for some projects. I might pick up one of my old projects here and I actually had an idea for another project after playing the zMegaman game.

chickendude

Staff Member

Post16 August 2014, 03:36

There's a Monopoly game in the ticalc archives:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 34061.html

No AI, just multiplayer, but it seems pretty complete.

Return to Announce your Projects